- HUNTING – This skill may not be the most important skill, but at the same time it might be. If the SHTF situation lasts long enough, eventually you’ll run out of food. You don’t have to be the best. You just need to know enough to eat.
- WILDERNESS SURVIVAL – Learn at least the basics. How to build a fire. How to find or build shelter. How to get your water clean. These are skills that will keep you alive.
- FIRST AID – Learn how to give CPR. Learn how to dress a wound. Learn how to suture and cauterize a wound. Learn the all the basics. You don’t need to be a brain surgeon to save a life.
- SELF DEFENSE – In an SHTF situation, people will hurt you or kill you to get what you have. Know basic self defense. Know how to SING.
- COOKING WITHOUT ELECTRICITY – You don’t want to go hungry while you figure it out. Start now by doing it sometimes.
- LONG DISTANCE WALKING – You may have to walk or run for days before you find somewhere safe. Start walking places that you’d normally take a car. Build your endurance. Try to get your body into a very healthy condition so that you will be able to do this. Don’t forget – it’s always the slowest person who gets eaten by zombies.
- GROW A GARDEN – Gotta learn this. I also suggest buying heirloom fruit and vegetable seeds so that you can plant anywhere and then harvest seeds and replant.
- FISHING WITHOUT A FISHING POLE – In the case that you end up somewhere that has fish and you don’t have a fishing pole, learn this.
In my opinion, these are the most important basic skills. Did I miss any?